How Hardscaping and Patios Add To The Value of Your Bay Area Home
Hardscaping - Your Homes Return On Investment and Resale Value
As a homeowner, you're always lloking for ways to improve your home to add value and quality of life. Many home improvement projects like remodeling your kitchen, or bathroom, or adding an addition can increase both your enjoyment of your home, as well as increase it's value when it comes time to sell.
One improvement project that's been growing in popularity is creating an elegant outdoor living space. In fact, a recent survey conducted by the National Association of Realtors found that hardscaping, or adding a patio is one of the top 10 features homebuyers are looking for. In fact, homebuyers will often pay a premium for a home with a well-built, well-maintained patio. An outdoor living space, whether it's an outdoor living room, patio, or kitchen can transform a boring space, into a beautiful paradise that can help you home sell faster and for a higher price.
Hardscaping Adds Value To Your Bay Area Home
Here in the Bay area of California, we love being outdoors! Creating a warm, welcoming backyard space is the perfect space for entertaining family and friends. When it comes to a return on your investment, outdoor kitchens, patios and other hardscaping can increase the value of your home because they improve livability and the overall appeal of your home.
The actual value a patio adds to your home will fluctuate depending on several factors. These include how well the patio fits in with the overall design and style of your home including if it is new, well-maintained or in need of repairs.
The more unique your outdoor space, the more return you'll see on your investment. Adding elements like a built-in fireplace, fire pit, raised garden beds, a water feature or cozy built-in seating will add value. High-grade materials will also extend the life of your patio and reduce maintenance.
Patios and other hardscaping are appealing to buyers because it adds additional usable living and entertaining space to a home, without the added costs of heating, cooling, and maintenance.
Benefits of Investing in Hardscaping
If you're considering a hardscaping project, there are many benefits that add value not only to your home, but improve the quality of life for you and your family. A professionally designed and installed hardscaping project offers you benefits including:
• High Return on Your Investment – Adding hardscaping to your home yields a high ROI when it comes time to sell. A recent study by RealEstate.com found that an attractive outdoor living area can return as much as 150% of your initial investment!
• Increase Curb Appeal – Along with a high ROI, hardscaping can increase your home's curb appeal. That will attract more buyers to your home and can increase resale value by as much as 20%
• Create A Relaxing Gathering Spot for Family and Friends – Hardscaping pays dividends now and into the future! A beautiful hardscape patio can create a great space to unwind after a long day. It's the perfect place to hang out with the kids, or a glass of wine and a good book.
• Spend More Time in The Outdoors – Just spending time outdoors offers health benefits like more getting vitamin D from the sunshine, adds physical activity to your day, and lowers blood pressure as you sit back, relax and listen to the birds. An outdoor living area is the perfect place to spend more time enjoying the outdoors and all it has to offer.
Tips To Increase The Value Of Your Bay Area Home
The numbers don't lie! Adding hardscaping to your home can add value while providing you and your family with years of enjoyment. If you're planning a project, work with a professional to design and install your space. They can help you to create the perfect oasis and help you to avoid these common mistakes:
• Size Your Space Properly – An oversized patio in a small space will look awkward and leave little greenery. If the patio is too large, it can actually detract from your home's value and appeal.
• Properly Place Your Patio – Patios should not be stand alone features. They should logically flow from the inside of your home. Ideally your patio should be 15 to 30 steps from the kitchen area (unless you're adding an outdoor kitchen) to make entertaining easier.
• Keep Your Outdoor Space Private – It's important to shield your patio from the neighbors to keep it private enough and add to its appeal. Adding freestanding walls, trees and other elements can keep your patio serene and private.
• Before You Sell – Make sure your patio is pristine. Prune bushes and trees, sweep the area, and replace any damaged pavers. Stage the area to give potential buyers a vision of what the space can look like to boost it's appeal.
Hardscaping can add beauty, functionality, and value to your home. If you're considering a hardscaping project, and you live in the California Bay area, give the experts at Bayside Pavers a call. We're always ready to help homeowners create the perfect outdoor space!
If you're in the North Bay visit our location in Santa Rosa at 1619 4th Street Ste 12. If your in the East Bay visit our Concord location at at 2455 Bates Ave, Ste K. We're always happy to answer your questions about pavers and hardscaping. Click Here To